Businesses Have 60 Days to Notify the IRS of Changes in Contact Information and Responsible Party

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) is reminding entities with Employer Identification Numbers (EINs) of their responsibility to update that information whenever the contact information or responsible party changes. IRS regulations require EIN holders to update responsible party information within 60 days of any change. Notifying the IRS of those changes is easily accomplished by filing Form 8822-B, Change of Address or Responsible Party – Business.   

Especially given the pandemic, taxpayer contact information may be outdated due to moves, office closures, etc. By alerting the IRS to your new address, you will ensure that you are receiving tax notifications on a timely basis.

The IRS is urging those entities with EINs to update their applications if there has been a change in the responsible party or contact information, calling it a key security issue.  According to the IRS, the data around the “responsible parties” for business-type entities is often outdated or incorrect, meaning that the IRS does not have accurate records of who to contact for potential fraudulent claims or identity theft issues. Inaccurate information results in a time-consuming process to identify the point of contact so the IRS can inquire about a suspicious tax filing.

It is estimated that there are approximately 100,000 EIN holders with outdated responsible party information. The IRS completed a mail campaign to these EIN holders in August.  

Responsible Party: Generally, a responsible party is the individual (a natural person) who ultimately owns or controls the entity or who exercises ultimate effective control over the entity. The person identified as the responsible party should have a level of control over, or entitlement to, the funds or assets in the entity that, as a practical matter, enables the person, directly or indirectly, to control, manage, or direct the entity and the disposition of its funds and assets.

Here are some tips for completing Form 8822-B (used by businesses):

If you need to change both the business and personal contact information, use Form 8822 to change your home address. Although the IRS will automatically update their records to match a taxpayer’s most recent tax filing, it is wise to file Form 8822 to make sure you receive any correspondence from the IRS since the IRS is only required to mail correspondence to your last known address. 

If you have a state filing obligation, you should also notify the appropriate state agencies of the changes.

After you file either Form 8822-B or Form 8822, please forward a copy to this office so we can update your file. If you need assistance with these tax forms, Cray Kaiser can help. Please give us a call to discuss changes in your contact information.  

<< Back to all blogs

Understanding the Tax Cuts & Jobs Act: Entertainment Expenses

Understanding the Qualified Business Income Deduction

Do You Have an Employee in Another State? What Your Business Needs to Know